|Photo of iPhone with|
The EyeNote® application (app) was developed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) for the blind or visually impaired to use as a tool to increase accessibility to Federal Reserve Notes (U.S. paper currency). EyeNote® is built for the Apple iOS to allow the user to scan a bank note and communicate its value back to the user.
The app is available as a free download on the Apple App Store℠. It runs without any special filters or background material. A data connection is not required for the app to work.
- OneTouch, hand-held operation.
- Face or back of note to camera.
- Partial note recognition (note can be handheld).
- Any circular orientation.
- No equipment modification, special background materials or special lighting required.
- Camera flash is not required.
- No data connection required - all processing on device.
- Currency designs from Series 1996 and forward.
- Note can be on a complex background.
- 2-4 second response time.
- User selectable spoken output English or Spanish, based on device language setting.
- Spoken mode also indicates the front or back of note to assist in vending use.
- Simplified on screen instructions (read aloud when device is set to VoiceOver in Accessibility mode)